From National University to Northbridge University: My Work and Journey Through the Rebranding
Since 2024, I've been doing contract work for National University. Among the many projects I've worked on there, one of the biggest was the transition of its pages, content, and branding from National University to Northbridge University, a recent development in 2026.
The process involved some grueling hours to pull together all the elements and coordinate everyone's efforts toward getting the bulk of the work done by February 4th. It was a great success, and the team celebrated with a party. As a remote worker, I couldn't be there in person, but I watched the live unveiling on YouTube and chatted with some of the people involved. It was truly a historic event.
I've worked with this institution on and off for more than 15 years, so this one hits differently. I've watched it grow from its humble beginnings into the powerhouse it is today.
Some projects I've been working on since I got into NUC/NU back in November 2024 include:
|
|
|
LibGuides Modifications
LibGuides "guides" aren't much to look at. Most of the time they resemble pages from 1994. However, they provide a structured way to enter information, data, images, and content. With some creative integration of CSS and JavaScript, they can look much better. The images here show some of the guides I worked on and improved, including making them responsive.
Building on a previous project, I developed a way to load YouTube videos in a player directly within the same page, so users can stay focused on their assigned content instead of navigating away. This also adds richness to the pages. I made this and other elements responsive and accessibility-compliant, as I try to include accessibility when optimizing processes for any client or office I work with.
LMS Login Customization
This was a special project to customize the login page for each school's branding. Using the unique Instructure URL for each named school, I changed the look and feel of the login so students and faculty could immediately identify where they were. The pages are also mobile-friendly and lightweight: I optimized the logo images and used SVG files to keep them full-quality vector graphics that load quickly.
LMS Modification: Microlearning
This was another pilot course, in which information was delivered in bite-sized pieces and incorporated different strategies for learning and retention. In both pilots, I had to learn a new platform, CidiLabs, which supports the design and implementation of course content in a more dynamic and workable way. It expanded how content can be designed and delivered within Instructure Canvas courses.
CTL Bulletin Integration
This is an RSS integration for the CTL WordPress site in which all the fields are pulled into the page content and updated dynamically. The articles come from a Mailchimp RSS feed, and the thumbnail is brought in as well. I modified the script to look for the first image after the two logos that usually appear in the header of the templates. If no other image is found, it falls back to the first logo, which is the institutional one. The integration is also responsive and mobile-friendly.
Educational Week 2026
I developed custom scripts to integrate videos and a YouTube channel and playlist directly within the page content. I also developed and implemented the page itself, along with a special previewer for the PDF presentations.
My goal with every project is to make sure it is long-lasting and maintainable. I often encounter pushback from people who don't see what goes on behind the scenes and don't realize that improving maintainability and optimizing processes takes analytical skill, time, research, and a tremendous amount of effort. Ultimately, my real client is the end user, and my aim is to make platforms and interfaces easy to use. I also work to ensure that people with accessibility needs can use the tools effectively, and that users on remote or mobile devices can work with them just as smoothly.
I am currently developing, on my own initiative, an application that simplifies generating PDF certificates for courses. The goal is for each certificate to be secure, official, and resistant to falsification, with a trackable number that adds greater value to the certification. The program will also send the documents and maintain records of them, building accountability, recordkeeping, and sustainability into the process.
Comments